Casino Mogul Steve Wynn Resigns Amid Sex Misconduct Claims
Las Vegas - Casino mogul Steve Wynn resigned as chair and CEO of Wynn Resorts amid sexual misconduct allegations.
"As I have reflected upon the environment this has created - one in which a rush to judgment takes precedence over everything else, including the facts - I have reached the conclusion I cannot continue to be effective in my current roles."
The Wall Street Journal reported that a number of women said Wynn harassed or assaulted them and that one case led to a $7.5m settlement.
The Las Vegas billionaire has vehemently denied the allegations, which he attributes to a campaign led by his ex-wife.
The ex-wife of the company’s founder testified Wednesday for the first time in open court about the allegations of sexual misconduct that led Steve Wynn to step down as chairman and chief executive officer of his casino empire last month.
She said at a hearing in Las Vegas that she told Wynn’s general counsel, Kim Sinatra, nine years ago about the alleged rape from four years earlier.
In January, Wynn resigned as finance chair of the Republican National Committee.
Since 2013, Wynn has contributed nearly $2.4m to GOP candidates and party organisations around the country, including Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval and 2017 special election winners.
Some Republicans in Congress, including Nevada's Dean Heller, have already announced they are donating contributions they received from Wynn to charity.
Wynn also faces investigations by gambling regulators in two states.
The board of directors for Wynn Resorts has appointed Matt Maddox, currently president of the company, as its CEO effective immediately.