Omens and Superstitions Casino Gamblers
The world of gambling casino has always been associated with secret knowledge and mysticism. Twilight, no clocks, no windows, music, free alcohol and overall casino atmosphere suggest transferred to a different world. Many players believe in superstitions that have come down to our time. For example: the sum of the numbers on the roulette wheel is 666 - the number of the devil, in this regard, there is a belief: to win - you first need to sell your soul to the devil.
This article describes the most common superstitions casino players.
1. In the Wild West its bad luck to let someone rest their foot on your chair while gambling. If anyone tries, it’s customary to challenge them to a gunfight.
2.The number 13 is regarded as a bad omen. In most cultures the number 13 is unlucky, so most people try not to associate themselves with this number. In fact, this number is considered so unlucky that most of Las Vegas hotels have no 13th floor!
3. The number seven has special significance in gambling, particularly in Slot Machines and certain versions of blackjack. The number 7 is considered to be very lucky for players. From wearing a necklace with the number, to carrying a dice with 7 instead of the 5 side, the number is widely thought to bring good luck to your game.
4. Never cross your arms or legs whilst gambling as it so will cross out your good luck.
5. No dogs allowed near the table.
6. Never count your money at the table – it’s bad taste and extremely unlucky
7. Avoid using the main entrance at the casino when you leave.
8. Always bet on the color red. The color red is good luck is widely associated with luck in gambling. Many gamblers seek to bring this luck to the table, through wearing red clothing, or underwear to influence the gambling gods!
9. Never put your keys on the table.
10. At slot machines, touch the seat to see if it’s still warm, and only play if it is.
11. It’s good luck to wear an article of dirty clothing when sitting down to gamble.
12. Never gamble in a room with a member of the opposite sex, unless that person is playing.
13. If you’re dealt a whole bunch of black cards in a row, a family member will die soon.
14. It’s good luck if you see a hunchback, on your way to go gambling casino.
15. It’s bad luck if you are a coffin, on your way to go gambling.
16. If you ever drop a black ace on the floor while playing cards, quit the game.
17. Playing online slots or table games is considered bad luck if you are left-handed and over 7 feet tall. For everyone else, it’s always good luck.
18. Avoid touching shoulders.
19. No mentioning of books and no touching of shoulders allowed (the Chinese believe that “book” sounds like “lose” in the language).
20. No sex before gambling.
21. If a beautiful lady happens to pass make sure you ask her to blow on your dice for good luck. She could even toss the dice for you — it could be your Lady Luck.
22. The presence of a mascot for gambling casino. From the traditional horseshoes to four-leaf clovers, to the more obscure such as bat hearts and a badger’s tooth, many gamblers believe that lucky charms hold the key to their success.
One of the most popular is the rabbit’s foot. This superstition is believed in several continents including Europe, China and America. Often died different colours and turned into keychains, you’ll be sure to see this lucky charm in the hand of many a gambler.
Small troll figurines with fluorescent hair (yes, the one you had when you were 10) is a lucky charm for gamblers, in particular bingo players.
Gambling superstitions that pay off
Steve Dannenmann attributes his big win title in the 2015 World Series of Poker’s Tournament of Champions to luck and superstition.
Dannenmann wore the same shirt and visor for the entire seven-day stretch of the main event. He also arrived to all his games in a even-numbered taxi every time and he never used the front door.
His superstitions really paid off, as he won just over $4.2 million.
Another fascinating belief stemming from the Chinese, it’s believed to be very bad luck to gamble against a pregnant woman. This is because a pregnant woman herself is deemed to be a sign of good fortune, carrying her good luck inside her belly with the foetus providing a second set of eyes.
While playing against a pregnant woman is to be avoided at all costs, it’s considered good luck to have a pregnant woman by your side when gambling so that you can benefit from the good fortune she will bring your way.
Likewise, 2003 WSOP runner-up Sam Farha is always seen betting with a cigarette between his lips or fingers. Even though Farha doesn’t smoke, he always keeps this lucky charm – often changing the cigarette when his luck goes downhill.
Ten-time WSOP bracelet winner Johnny Chan is often seen with at the poker table with an orange. Once used to clear his nostrils in the smoke-filled casinos, he now credits the same orange with his high-stakes wins.
As you can see, a lot of superstitions, and some of them absurd. But there are always people who believe in them piously.